Saturday, April 27, 2013

And the Winner is...

Kirk. The winner is Kirk, with a time of 1:02:51. Nice Job, Kirky.

The winner of what, you may ask? The winner of a 10K. 1st one I have ever run. First one ANY person in my growing up genetic family has ever run. And it was awesome.

It was in Mantua, and it was a gorgeous morning, and the race went around a gorgeous lake, that unfortunately we didn't get a picture of.  But here are the mountains, and they were beautiful too. 



This was my fan club. Cutest fan club ever. And I was so happy to see my family cheering for me!




This sign told us to turn left. Pretty obvious. But no, I missed it. Luckily Mike was there to chase me down and keep me on the right path. That could have ended in disaster.



Kirk really did awesome. He had surgery on his leg I think a month ago? A little more than a month? Anyway, he ran the entire way. He was amazing.


My mom and I stayed close to each other pretty much the whole way. I ran the whole way (which was my only goal. And I am so happy!) She ran mostly with some walking in between, but she never fell behind me which just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat (this is just a figure of speech. I have never skinned a cat, nor do I endorse the skinning of cats) Her goal was to make it in under 80 minutes, which she succeeded in. 1:13:54. Oh, and my time was 1:13:49, just for the record.



So, if you look at the picture below closely, you might notice that my mom and I were pretty much in last place (we hold to the theory that the guy behind us was paid to bring up the rear so that first timers like us don't feel bad) And the funny thing is, we don't even care. It was still the coolest thing ever to finish and to accomplish the goals we had set for ourselves. Really, the coolest feeling ever. And that is that.




4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I love reading your narrative. And I agree! I was just so happy to finish in an upright position--7 minutes under my goal time! And right behind Kim, which, by the way, was not easy. But without her, I would've been still a long ways back! Thanks kim, for pacing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, the comment above is from Mom, not Kirk. And without my tough mom, we would not have run this race at all, since it was her idea. And a great one it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi and I are doing the Air Force marathon in September (well, Kristi is doing the half marathon). You and Mike should do it, too. I know Mike swore off marathons after the last one I tricked him into doing, but maybe he's forgotten about that. It would be AWESOME.
    PS- Nice run!

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments from you!